4.14.2007

Dusty Image Sensor

dusty beam
[dust seen at the top right]

I recently noticed that I somehow got dust on the image sensor of my Canon XTI so I had to figure out a way to take care of the situation. Being relatively new to the DSLR world I knew that I had some research to do so I could figure out how to remedy the situation. This meant a search around the net and a trip to a few local stores.

The first trip was to Keeble & Shuchat 290 Store in Palo Alto where a clean would take a few days. Unfortunately I don't remember the price but they were very helpful giving me tips on how I might try to take care of the problem myself. A quick tutorial on wet and dry methods along with the possibility of blowing the dust off of the sensor sent me over to the 261 store across the street. I was able to get some additional tips, saw some of the tool options and walked out with a blower for about $12.

The blower didn't help so next I was off to Kamera Korner in San Jose to see what they had. The first suggestion was for a cleaning service which would take a few days and put me out $65. I ended up with a bottle of Eclipse Optic Cleaning System for about $10 and two swabs for $8 each. After a bit more research I'm going to give this a shot.


Dust Cleaning Resources

- Sensor Cleaning Test a Flickr Set
- Google search for dslr image sensor dust
- Dust Removal Review from Pixinfo
- Cleaning Your Sensor by Thom Hogan (focused on Nikon cameras)
- Demystifying D-SLR Sensor Cleaning from cleaningdigitalcameras.com
- Sensor Cleaning Google Search

No comments: